Bride/marriage Visa (K1/K2) to the US

K1 visa General Information

The nonimmigrant K1 visa is for foreign nationals planning to marry a U.S. citizen. The K1 visa allows the foreign national to enter the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen petitioner within 90 days of admission. After the marriage, the foreign national applies to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and changes his or her status to permanent resident (LPR). Since the fiancé/fiancé visa allows the holder to immigrate to the United States and marry a U.S. citizen, the requirements for obtaining this visa are similar to those for obtaining an immigrant visa. Children of the bride and groom who meet the requirements are issued a K2 visa.

The petitioner, who is a U.S. citizen, submits Form I-129F (Petition for Foreign Fiancé(e)s) to the USCIS office in Dallas. You can find more information on the USCIS website under “Bride/Groom Visa”. Please note that the I-129F petition cannot be filed outside of the United States.

Once the petition is approved, USCIS forwards it to the National Visa Center (NVC) for further processing. Once processing is complete, the NVC sends the case to the Embassy or Consulate of the country where the bride/groom will receive the K1 visa.

Setting an K1 visa Interview Date

After the petition is approved by USCIS and processed at the National Visa Center (NVC), the documents will go to the U.S. Embassy in Moscow. The U.S. Embassy’s Immigrant Visa Section will send instructions to the applicant on how to prepare for the interview.

Note: Do not schedule an interview at the Embassy until you have received these instructions! If more than two months have passed since the NVC informed you that your case was transferred to Moscow and you have not yet received the letter with instructions, please contact the Consular Section e-mail address: Please note: you may need to file a new petition if no interview is scheduled within four months of the petition being approved.

Preparing for your K1 visa interview

A list of documents for your K visa interview can be found on the website of the U.S. Embassy in Moscow. General information and how to pay the consular fee can be found on another page of this portal.

Filling out form DS-160

Each applicant (including children) applying for a K visa must file a separate visa application on form DS-160. The DS-160 application is filed online on this page.

The DS-160 application must be submitted online prior to your embassy interview, and you must bring a printed confirmation page to your interview. The U.S. Embassy does not accept handwritten or typewritten applications. The interview will not take place without the DS-160 confirmation page.

Note: For more information on completing Form DS-160, visit the website. Guidelines for completing Form DS-160 can be found on our portal). Information desk operators are not available to answer questions about the DS-160 or to help you complete it.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *