Immigration. Immigration to Australia on a Bridal / Marriage / Spousal visa

The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) has fairly lenient requirements for fiancée visas and ‘marriage visas’:

no English language requirements,
no specific education, occupation, or income requirements,
no age limits.
These visa categories are designed to encourage more international families to come to Australia to enable people to live as a family, raise children, share a family budget, and live under the same roof.

The important thing is to be able to prove that your relationship and commitment to marital happiness is genuine (not just formal, but genuine). Therefore, a marriage certificate is not an argument for the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) to issue you a visa, and evidence of your mutual love is an argument in favour of issuing you a visa.

Types of visas are matrimonial/marital visas/fiancée visas:

Bride (groom) visa who plans to marry an Australian citizen (for opposite-sex and same-sex partners):

300 Bride (groom) / Prospective Marriage Visa (subclass 300) (for opposite-sex and same-sex partners). Temporary visa is valid for 9 months. During this time you must enter Australia and register your marriage or you must leave the country.
Marriage visas for people who are already married or cohabiting with an Australian citizen (for same-sex and different-sex partners):

820 visa/ Partner temporary visa (subclass 820). A temporary visa until you are granted an 801 visa. For those already married in Australia, arriving on the “300 visa for bride” or already been in Australia, having the legal visa, and intends to live together with the partner in Australia
801 visa/partner permanent visa (subclass 801). Permanent visa. For those who have lived with a partner in Australia for 2 years or more on the 820 visa.
309 visa/Partner temporary visa (subclass 309). Temporary visa for 2 years. For those who already married before submission of documents to DIBP, or have already lived with the partner for more than 12 months in a common-law marriage outside Australia.
100 visa/Partner permanent visa (subclass 100). Permanent visa. For those who have lived on a 309 visa with their partner in Australia for more than 2 years.

A simpler way is to obtain a 300 bridal visa, after which you will have 9 months to marry your partner. After the wedding you receive an 820 visa, and after 2 years you can obtain permanent resident status in Australia with an 801 visa.

If you will register your marriage in Russia or the third country, then to receive the visa you will have to prove that you are in a relationship (i.e. literally live together) for at least 12 months, and the entire visa process can take significantly longer.

Remember: Under Australian law a marriage is only valid if it is properly registered in Australia. Read more on the official website ,

Your marriage in Russia, Ukraine or elsewhere to an Australian citizen(s) must be legalised in Australia. Marriage to an Australian citizen does not automatically result in permission to enter Australia for a spouse who is a citizen of another country.

Australian law recognises both legal marriage and common-law marriage; both different-sex and same-sex families.
The term “Partner” in Australian immigration law therefore refers to a person

intending to marry (bride/groom)
already formally married
has been living in a common-law union for more than 12 months
a same-sex partner who has been married or cohabiting for more than 12 months

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *